One of the best things about photographing a lot of weddings is that it takes you to places you have never heard of. One such place I discovered earlier this year was South Causey Inn, which is in Stanley, County Durham.
South Causey Inn is a family owned business, was originally a working two storey farmhouse. In the 1970's it re-invented itself as an Equestrian Centre and it began it's rapid growth in both size and diversity. A bar was added, kitchens, a restaurant and then 29 bedrooms. The original buildings were extended and function rooms were added, including a dedicated Wedding room with it's own kitchen.
The surrounding land was landscaped and it now includes a small farm with donkeys, alpacas, chickens, sheep, goats and rabbits. And of course, there are lots of horses!
Weddings at South Causey Inn
You have a choice of places to have your wedding ceremony at South Causey Inn. Probably the most popular room is the Tanfield Suite. This has the feel of an old barn, with stone walls, thick timber roof beams, rich wood panelling and plush red curtains. It seats up to 100 people.
The Cobbles seats up to 40 people and the Beamish Suite, with its log burning fire, seats up to 30, so they are both better choices for more intimate ceremonies.
Wedding Photography at the South Causey Inn
At first glance the South Causey Inn has good photography options. The Tanfield Suite, where most ceremonies are held, has plenty of character and the Durham suite, where the wedding breakfast and speeches normally take place, is relatively light and airy.
As it is a semi-rural setting, you'd assume there would be an abundance of outside photo opportunities, but there are some limitations. You are surrounded by roads and power lines criss-cross the landscape so there are lots of potentially distracting elements. If you are willing to walk past the gardens to the front of the Inn there are some good views over the valley, and if you walk down the grassy slope to the rear of the Inn you can find some wild woodland. You'll need good weather, and a willing photographer and couple to get good photos here.
Of course any good professional photographer should be able to work with what is available to get photographs the couple will enjoy.
- The South Causey Inn has everything in one location - you can have your ceremony, wedding breakfast, evening reception and party here and then stay overnight if you wish!
- The food here is good, whether it is for your wedding or in the restaurant.
- Although it has a semi-rural feel it is an easy venue to get to from anywhere in the North East and is well served by main roads.
- You'll need to put in some effort to get the best from your wedding photographs.
- The South Causey Inn is popular and caters to a wide range of functions. Although the wedding rooms will be yours, you might bump into strangers in the bar, in the restaurant or staying in the hotel.
BY POST: SOUTH CAUSEY INN, Beamish Burn Road, Stanley, Co. Durham, DH9 0LS
BY PHONE: 01207 235 555
BY EMAIL: email@example.com